In honor of the American Art Therapy Association’s 50th, here is a photo of the envelope I keep from 1994-


 the year I wrote, snail-mail style, to AATA to inquire about a graduate degree in art therapy and program requirements with that offering.  I knew when I completed my undergrad in Social Work (a field I love and to which am called) that I would pursue art therapy.  I also knew that pursuit would wait for the ‘right’ time.
     I’ve shared this before: the field is a beautiful, and at times seemingly perfect, albeit challenging, pairing of two deep interests: psychology and art.
     I remember a conversation with my uncle, an MFA, in which we both wondered aloud how coming out of a lower middle class family with our influences, we ended up in the arts.  Both of us being told by my grandad, his father, that we couldn’t make a living in the arts.  We both found our way: he an art center director, me a social worker- turned therapist combining visual arts and counseling.
     Every day I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to work in a field of dreams.

Comments

Popular Posts