One of my profession-related dreams came true this year: I had the privilege of supervising my first
(and I say first as I believe that and plan for others to follow) art therapy graduate student for practicum.  I got a call ‘out of the blue’ this Spring: a student taking a ‘long-shot’ to inquire about the possibility of completing an art therapy practicum with us at HopeWest Kids.  She went further to say she was in a program in IN, which turned out to be where I attended graduate school, St. Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC ).  At this point in my career, to take on the responsibility and really inspiring duty of ‘leading’ someone into this profession is one of its privileges.   A bit of synchronicity was at work here as I had just taken my national exam for board-certification as an art therapist.  The ATR-BC is an attractive credential for graduate programs and their students.  It is now required for supervision in this profession.

Looking forward to this Spring semester with our first art therapy graduate intern!


Comments

Popular Posts